Sunday, January 18, 2009

Brrrrrrrrrr

It's been a chilly few days here at Chez Sheila. I woke up 3:30 Friday morning to -13deg temps outside and NO HEAT. Called the landlord's contracted company at 5:30AM and received a return call at 8:45AM. The repairman finally showed up at 4:18PM and within 11 minutes told me my furnace needed a part replaced and the parts shop closed at 4:30. Would he be back on Saturday? No. Not until Monday. No heat for 4 days and nights. I was furious, but now I'm just resigned to the fact.

What does tick me off is that after my Fall inspection in November my landlord was to have been notified that this part needed replaced... badly. Someone dropped the ball, obviously. Either he knew and didn't authorize the repair or he wasn't told. The landlord is also not returning my phone calls or email.

It's amazing how cold it can feel inside with no heat, and despite four layers of clothing. Luckily the kids had a space heater to lend me and brought it over Friday night. It works nicely in a closed room, so I move it from the bedroom to the computer/sewing room as needed and pretty much avoid the large open area of LR/DR/Kitchen. The kids offered to let me use the futon in their basement to sleep, but with no bathroom on that level it just wouldn't work for someone who has URGENT needs 2-3 times a night!

I'm grateful as well that the outside temps have risen... it was 30 when I woke up this morning and it's 20 now. It's been snowing most of the day, but there's not the wind of the past few days. I've chosen to stay in most of these days because it takes so darn long to warm up from the outside, and with no heat it's even worse. At least I have four walls and a roof.

No comments: